Friday, July 31, 2009

Characteristics of uncastrated rabbit?

Hello,

My rabbit is a year old and has never been castrated. I keep reading articles about male rabbits that are uncastrated always trying to mount things etc..I have never seen my bunny do this! Obviously thats not a bad thing but I was wondering if I should be worried that something is wrong with my bunny? Are there actually specific characteristics of uncastrated rabbits? (He is a house rabbit and lives with 4 other people, no other animals)
Answers:
I had one some years ago and he showed no signs of strange behaviour. He was in the house a lot and was house trained so no marking territory or anything like that. Yours sounds fine and as long as he's healthy stop worrying.
My unneutered rabbit mounts things, including nearby humans, at every opportunity. He will also spray urine, which has made him very unpopular on occasion! This behaviour started in middle age however; you may not notice any odd behaviour until they are 4 or 5 years old.
Wow - you're lucky.

My buck is going in for his neuter tomorrow. I didn't ever plan to do it and I didn't want to, and I do feel pretty guilty for him. But he is very sexually frustrated (so I guess I'm doing him a favour in that way), he's always trying to mount me. I guess because I am the one who feeds and cleans him I am the one he wants (doesn't go near any other family member). Maybe he is in love with me, lol!?

It is better for this health if you have them done.

No comments:

Post a Comment