Wednesday, July 29, 2009

can you please tell me how long horses live approx. I am looking at buying a horse for riding is 20 yrs old?


Answers:
as a rule of thumb they usually live until they die.
27-30 max. But they shouldn't be very tired after they are about 25, they're old. Between 20-25 they are great to ride, though, they are calm and mature. Depends on the horse, too, of course.
I've been riding before age 4. Horses can live to be around 35. It depends on their care and other factors. It sounds like this might be your first horse. You should probably look for a horse that is bombproof. All horse are different, just like people. They have their own personalities. Horses are ready to break and ride when they are 2 yrs. old. You get what you pay for. I would look for a horse around 8 yrs. old. Professionally trained, maybe for Western Pleasure. This would be a ideal horse for you. Also go with a gelding that has never been bread. The term "NO Vices" means he has no bad habits. Bombproof means he is not spooky. If you can get a cowboy to help you look for a horse. A.Q.H.A. is a quarter horse with a pedigree. There feet and legs are very important. You don't want to buy a horse that is not sound. I could go on and on . I would like to help u more. Let me know if I can help and I will give you my e-mail.
the average life can arange from 25 to 35yrs depends on health and good care,the horse has had in the past .if you want a horse that will work alot of hrs. every day i would like to see you get a younger one more in age groupof 10yrs /15 they are well settled and dependable with 10 better yrs to serve you with
A horse can live a long time as long as you take good care of it . I had a horse that I road at the age of 35 and I lost him 5 years later . his name was Irish and he was my first horse. As long as you do not try and ride him like he 3 you should have a long time together. good luck
My Horse Blaze is Thirty-five years old. Blaze still looks really good at his age. He doesn't have a heavily sloped back, he can still chew some food. I have heard that horses can live longer.
We had to put down my old endurance mare a few months ago, she was 38. I've recently retired my QH trail horse, and he is 29 this year. The kids still ride him around the pasture.

As for whether you should buy a 20-yr-old horse, I personally think the decision should be based on your experience and the horse's training, of course the horse's physical condition now, and what type or riding you plan to do.

Any healthy horse today could get sick or be injured tomorrow, so as long as it is healthy today and meets up to your expectations of a great horse today, you should be fine.
Horses can have a life range of anywhere from 25-35 years old. It mostly depends on how good of a home they have had, how good they are medical wise, and also can depend of what type of horse it is. I know that Arabians live older because they have more stamina that some of the other horse breeds. Buying a horse that is 20 yrs old should not be problem is the the above factors are great. Good Luck with everything!
If this is going to be your first horse and you are basically unexperienced, a HEALTHY and SOUND 20 year old might not be a bad choice. You will probably, at most, get 4 or 5 good years of riding out of the horse before you begin to see problems such as arthritis and the like. A student of mine has a 23 year old quarter horse gelding who is still going strong.

The only thing I would caution you about is the possibility of future costs associated with healthcare. You are going to have to expect to take on some more responsibility and cost with this horse in the future (Vet visits, feed supplements, blanketing, etc.). Also, before you buy this horse you should DEFINATELY get a Vet Check on the horse, and you shouldn't be paying too much money for the horse either.
most horses should be retiring at about 25, ..
30 is a good age for a horse, so if you wanted years of riding out of her than dont waste your money coz they aint cheap!!
or get a good deal :) also depends on the breed tho and how well they been looked after. if its a thouroughbred dont bother coz they are the first to retire!
I used to know a little poney called charlie that was 35! oldest i've seen (didnt do much tho, except eat ;))
well sometimes it depends on the breed. about 25 - 30. my friend has one thats 32 and she still rides it (whitch is not a good idea). if you just want the horse for weekend trail rides and nothing stressful like jumping, barrel, poles, racing, all day rides, ect. and the horse passes the vet check (always vet check a horse before you by one) the horse should be ok for light riding. email me if you have any more questions.
Well my friend has a 25 yr old horse who's blind in one eye and they still ride her. But if youre going to spend alot of money on a horse. you should get a five to eight year old horse. Any horse as old as Sasha (the 25 yrs old) gets sick and sweaty if you ride for more than 20 minutes, so no i wouldnt suggest a 20 yr old. Look for a younger more active horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment