Friday, July 31, 2009

Convincing a landlord to accept pets?

I may be moving in the next month or so to take a new job. I have only found two apartments that will allow pets (I have two cats, and will not leave them or give them away). One is out of my price range, and one is a complete hole - I think my car has more room. There are lots of places for rent in this town, but everyone says "no" to pets. Has anyone had any luck in convincing a landlord to accept pets? And if so, how? Any advice appreciated.
Answers:
I am a landlord, and I've had tenants who talked me into pets. First of all, offer to put down extra security deposit. Then offer to pay a little more each month. Believe it or not, regular wear and tear on carpets, etc, is worse with someone who has two cats than someone who has no cats at all. And when you move out, the place will have to be cleaned exceptionally well in case the next tenant has allergies. Finally, get a letter of reference from your current landlord. Under the law,I can only ask your landlord a few questions about you when checking your rental history. However, you can offer information from your current landlord which may sway a decision.

Personally, I've never had a tenant with a cat willing to follow a few simple rules that ever did any damage. And they usually stayed longer because they had kitties and I would accomodate them. It was a win-win for everyone involved.
tell him ur legally blind in one eye.. and your seeing-eye pet is medical necessity
buy him a sweet little kitten/puppy
good luck
With cats, the main concern of landlords is the smell. My advice? I'd tell the landlord that you will put an extra deposit, just in case, and that your cats are fixed and don't spray. Assure him/her that you take very good care of you family members and that you clean the box twice a day(even if it's only once). Good luck. I wouldn't give up my kitty either for no reason!
i had 3 cats once and ran into the same situation. i finally found a house i wanted, but the landlord said "no pets, especially cats!" but by the time i got done with him, we were ALL moving in!

you simply need to state that they are part of the family, after "ooohhing and aaawwing" about their rental. but don't be phony about it. and you need to reassure and reassure the landlord that you are very clean (if you really are) and that you have no tolerance for pets that piss in the house! (and be ready to get rid of your animal(s) if they start to do so, right away!)

having extra cash with you for an animal deposit is a very good idea AAAAAND have cash for the first and last months rent and the deposit with you. try to get the landlord to agree to allow you and your pets to move in right away. harder to say no to straight up cash than someone with a check, etc. and don't forget your receipt from the landlord! make sure he specifies which is rent, deposit and animal deposit on it.
it's not worth getting evicted for, you can bring it up that you have these 2 cats that you love but don't try and hide them in there a small closet is no place for a cat to live. that is abuse! Keep looking even if you have to drive half hour or 45 mins to get to work maybe even an hour you got to keep your family together.
look at apartments that are over businesses the landlords are usually a little more accepting of accomidating you. we moved over a spa almost a year ago she wasn't planning on having pets alowed up here but she is a cat lover herself and we asked if we could get some cats and she said yes to having 2 cats.
Why would you want to try to change someone's mind just for your own benefit? People have reasons for not allowing pets, and it's not up to you to force yourself or your cats on someone. Instead, since you say there are so many places to live, look around even more, and not just at apartments. Take some time to look into houses that might fit your budget, or vice vera, however the case may be.
You won't have any luck at all unless you offer a deposit large enough to recarpet the entire place after you leave AND replace all the baseboards in the apartment. Cats spray. If ONE cat sprays, every cat that is in the place after that WILL spray. It's just that simple.
A friend of mine got her dog accepted in our apartment building. She had obsessive/compulsive disorder and her doctor gave her a prescription for the little dog. He's now her companion dog. If you could get a prescription for them, but you need to have a disorder. I'm thinking that if you persuade your doctor how depressed you'd get if you needed to part with them--.. Good luck! I hope I helped you.
You could also tell the landlord that cats are very clean animals and offer to pay extra to have them. If that doesn't happen or your doctor won't help I would move into the small apartment--at least your two cats will be with you until you could find somewhere else.
You know what? Doe is wrong. He may be a landlord, but I have a cat! She doesn't ruin anything, but you will need to listen to him.
Just ask, point blank. Tell them your situation, and offer to pay more for a "pet" security deposit. Our house was pet-free, but we had a cat, and the landlord was all right with it. We didn't have to pay a pet deposit, either, but a lot of places that allow pets DO require a pet deposit. It pays for any damage pet related- pee smell, spraying, scratched walls, etc.
Where I live it is illegal for a landlord to say no pets allowed. It is discriminatory. Check your bylaws for this loophole.
Need to keep searching or find a trusted family member or friend to take in the cats while you continue to search.

If a landlord says no pets, that means no pets. If you try to sneak them, you be breaking the contract and can evict you, plus not give disposite back.
I HATE landlords that have 'tudes about me having pets in MY HOME. It may be their BUILDING but after all, it's MY HOME! When I run up against landlords with these 'tudes about pets, I give them my "But, I bet you take KIDS" speech and LEAVE!! I REFUSE to do business with someone like that!

Even if you do get lucky and are actually able to 'talk' them into allowing you to have your pets against their original wishes: First, you MUST get it in WRITING! and second you must have a contingency plan in case they decide to change their minds. I've run into THAT before!

My advise is to continue your search until you find a place that you like that has a landlord that will allow you your pets.NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!
OY!! I HATE that more %26 more prop. owners won't take pets! You know why it's getting so bad? BAD PEOPLE! The same reason that dogs bite, kill, are neurotic %26 need to have laws %26 people to protect them. I know that tons of people leave filth, ruined carpets, even the pet itself behind. In my case, when I first moved into my place a cat would vist occaisionally. I said to myself "Cool, I can have a cat!" So I immediatly went %26 rescued from my local shelter. When other neighbors saw him in the window they dropped a dime on me %26 told the owner. He immediatly said "Get rid of it now! (He's basically a bastard %26 hates animals..which makes me very suspect of his character(I wonder if he can swim). I said look, there is a cat living in this bldg. You can't discriminate. He said that that cat was here by order of a physician. I'll get a physician to back me up. Well, you'd better be in a life threatening situation then(dick).. At the time I was working in a board %26 care for mentally disabled adults %26 the best psychs in town see patients there %26 both believe strongly of the importance of companion animals. I got 2 prescriptions written %26 2 pretty scathing letters about how I need a pet. That shut the stupid landlord up! P.S. That visiting cat who I thank for making it possible to have my cat is "7 Toes".he really has 7 toes on each foot! ..is my "Papi's" best friend they have play days together in my apt.
Yes, and more than once. I met with the landlord(s) personally. I explained that I realize they have a no pet policy but I would give them references from my past landlord as well as my vet. I also encouraged them to meet my pet(s). I offered to pay a "pet fee".

In one case, the landlord allowed my two cats because she knew I wouldn't be walking them around the complex, i.e. they would be hidden from the other renters. The other landlord made an exception after she met my dog. I got another landlord to allow my pets because I paid a non-refundable $250.00 "pet fee".

I bought my own home over 13 years ago. Now, I have 3 dogs, a feral cat and a house kitten. I am my own landlord, finally!
A lot of people have had good suggestions but I remember reading that some landlords are asking pet owners to get blacklights so they can be on top of invisible pet stains that will cause smells. Offer to get one. They're about $15-20. Anything that you can promise to do to keep the place clean will be a big help.

1 comment:

  1. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight.
    Moving a pet

    ReplyDelete