Monday, May 24, 2010

Do chinchillas and cats get along?

I'm looking after a friend's chinchilla for a little while, but was planning on getting a cat. Was just wondering if the two would get along or if I was going to see some problems sometime down the road.
Answers:
It really does depend on the cat. I have two chinchillas and I found that my cat is too predatory, so I keep her separated from them. However, I have had success with the cats that I raised from the kitten stage. These cats played with the chinchillas as kittens. As these kittens grew up, they became less enamored by the chins and pretty much pay them no mind.

In my opinion, your best bet is to start with a kitten, so that he or she can be brought up with the chinchilla. This way the predatory instincts toward the chin are less likely to develop.
yeah cats think they're delicious
id say not? keep ya puss puss away from the chin chin or your puss will have it for din din
Well, I guess it all depends on the feline. Some felines would probably consider the chinchilla to be a nuisance. While, other cats could care less.
prob not
The cat may get indigestion.
No. They most likely would not. because chinchillas are essentially related to "rodents", cats have a tendancy to become aggresive and stalk them. But you should be fine unless you decide to put your cat in the cage or let th chinchilla run wild. Both of these I do not reccomend.
the cat will eat the chinchilla. or the other way around :) so i sugest keep then seperated.
no. If a cat touches a chin and softly grips, the chin's fur will release and eventually can go bald. Also if theres a cat around he may become stressed and start biting himself.
Since you are only keeping the chinchilla for awhile the simple solution would be to place the chinchilla in a room with a closed door and don't let the cat in. Also, be sure your cat is up to date on all of its shots and wash your hands after playing with the cat and before feeding or playing with the chinchilla.
I donno, probably depends on the animals and their environment. I had an ex that had both cats and chins, and they were fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment