Saturday, May 22, 2010

Did you know pet snakes have a lifespan of over 20 years?

I was looking into getting a pet snake, but now I'm not sure since I found out what the lifespan of a pet snake is. I was reading ball pythons can live as long as 40 years in captivity, average being about 20 to 30 years.
Answers:
Yes, I did. I just started fostering a ball python and considered keeping her. Then I found out she could live maybe 25 more years (she's 5). I'm not sure I could commit to keeping her that long.

One idea is to search to see if there is a reptile rescue near you. I'm in Georgia and we have one. I went looking on their web page the other day and they had one ball python up for adoption that is 20 years old! You might consider adopting an older snake in this instance.
get a corn snake very frendly snakes,mine is about 3 ft ,they can get up to six feet.they live for 10 to 20 years:)
The minimum age for a snake is 10 years, the majority 20 to 50 years as long as they are kept in the proper environment and kept healthy.
If your looking for a first time pet snake I would recommend a corn snake, they are easy to keep and have a great temperament.
Ball pythons are quite finicky and often go off there food, they need alot of humidity to be able to properly shed, I see so many that are in awful shape because of this and have layer upon layer of eye caps stuck on them.
Also remember that snakes never stop growing there whole lives, so you should choose wisely and not buy a snake that will eventually reach 16ft plus and need its own bedroom!
Make sure you research the particular snake you finally decide on and all will be well.
Yes, many reptiles have long life spans. Some Turtles over 100 years. Parrots can also out live their owner and it can be a sad experience for the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment