Saturday, May 22, 2010

difference between saddles?

what is the difference between a dressage saddle and an all purpose saddle, i use a dressage saddle everyday and it dont seem any different is there i different shape or what
Answers:
I have an all purpose and a dressage saddle and the difference is how you feel when you sit in them because of how they are made.
In the dressage saddle I feel I sit further back and more straight up and down, the cantel is lower. When I look at myself in the mirror my head, shoulders, hips and heels are in line. In a true dressage saddle you try to lenghthen out your legs to give much more calf contact. That is why the flaps are soo long.
In the all purpose saddle I feel like I sit more forward, the cantel is higher, so my head, shoulders, hips and toes are in line. The all purpose is just what it says, you can do anything from dressage to jumping in it - thus the more general forward feel. Typically you ride with a shorter stirrup typically how you ride in hunt seat. That is why the flaps are shorter.
Either saddle will work for general riding as long as you are comfortable. I prefer a dressage saddle but that is due to I finally found a saddle that is comfortable for me.
Dressage saddles tend to put the rider's weight more central on the horse's back while an all purpose is slightly forward and can be used for jumping. The all purpose is not as deep seated to allow the movement needed for jumping. The leg flaps on a dressage saddle are more straight down while the all purpose is rounder and more forward. Hope this helps.
I only ride western saddles.
A dressage saddle allows for less subtle cues from the rider. Dressage is supposed to look as if their is little or no communication between horse and rider- for example, a cue to speed up for a dressage horse is for the rider to lean slightly forward and take a deep breath, the horse can feel the breath, judges cannot see it- appears the rider merely thinks about cantering, and horse intunes it.
dressage saddles are higher and more advanced

No comments:

Post a Comment