Saturday, May 22, 2010

Do all crabs need to have dry land?

We have a 45 gallon tank set up. We are wanting to get something else in there. I would like to have a crab. Are there any that can go in there? Do all crabs need to have dry land? If so then what can we put in our tank? I don't like snails though.
Answers:
I can tell you that land hermit crabs need dry land, with maybe a small amount of water. You can set up some really cool terrariums, though, with land creatures.
some need water and others just need crotch
you dont like snails!?!?!?!?!??! wtf!!

put somma teh snailzors in em.
Snails are good bottom feeders, but not the kind that you get accidentally (little tiny white ones). I don't think crabs need dry land. They are very amusing in a tank, though I never had any, personally. I just catch them at the coast, and eat them.
Be careful getting a crab in a community tank. Fish actually go through periods of slumber and will "rest" on or near the bottom of the tank. A crab is apt to grab an unsuspecting fish as it rests and help himself to sushi snack. The fish will not be amused.

I once did this in a community tank and although I didn't catch on that the crab was a real threat to the fish. Someone told me it wasn't a good idea, I removed the crab and all the fish went to the bottom to rest. I suspect they were exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment